Now I’ve got the bulk of a DAK German army sorted for Bolt Action I need some more terrain for my North African table, which is getting re-tasked yet again. First up is some linear hard cover in the form of white washed stone walls.
These are constructed from Hirst Arts fieldstone bricks, glued together and then covered with Selley’s ‘No More Cracks’ which is just a generic plaster/spackle filler. It was smoothed on with sculpting tools and detailed with a few cracks and dings. Areas of the walls were left uncovered to expose the fieldstone bricks. The Hirst Arts fieldstone bricks are a 1/4″ thick, which makes for fairly robust walls. I was concerned they’d look a little out of scale, but once they’re on the table you don’t really notice. Having nice thick walls also means they’re self standing so don’t have to be based which is a handy feature. As the majority of the wall is covered, they’re also an excellent way of using up your bubbly or miscast Hirst Arts fieldstone bricks.
The walls were painting quickly to match my older Crescent Root Studios resin buildings. I’m glad I bought these buildings years ago, because these days CRS only seem to produce some rather bland MDF buildings. The paint job was a base coat of Resene house paints, followed by a wash of diluted brown shoe polish, followed by a bunch of crude dry brushing and a light varnish.
My original plan was to master a few wall sections and then mold them. Unfortunately I discovered I don’t have enough RTV rubber left to mold anything as large as a bunch of 28mm wall sections. Instead I simply spent a few more evenings putting together enough sections to build over 4′ of linear wall and painted them up. Here’s all the pieces I’ve built so far. I don’t think I need any more to be honest, although I am tempted to build at least one more gate part.
They work well on the table, providing hard cover for Bolt Action troops to huddle behind and fire over. Low profile vehicles can also reasonably claim some hard cover from them as well which is handy. Next I need to expand my collection of soft cover for the North African table.